Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Resolution Will Not Be Televised...

For 2012, I was going to resolve to not procrastinate so much, but I decided to wait till next year to do that...
While that statement may seem humorous, it probably isn't that far off from how people routinely go about making and then breaking the New Year's resolutions. It certainly has been that way for me. In the past, my resolutions have either been (a)these generic, vague, non-specific, too-half-hearted-to-be-considered-resolute dimly breaking through the fog of depression and self-pitying that often hang over me around the arrival of new years and birthday, almost always indicative of the fact that I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life in the coming year and beyond; or (b)some highly-specific (with dates attached) declarations without any thought on how to achieve it, and thus doomed from the start for failure and disappointment (or to just be forgotten long before I ever reached the deadline).

With my past endeavors into this area in mind, I had not intended on making any resolution at all for 2012, until I spotted the following as a friend's facebook status:

Since complicating life is something I do exceedingly well, and since speaking up about what I want and feel is something I barely do at all, then the above is as a good a resolution for me as any. No deadlines attached, no generic platitudes without any specific special meaning to me, just a reminder that although no one gets everything they want, it's very hard to get anything you want if no one but you ever knows about it...

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need" 
-The Rolling Stones




No comments:

Post a Comment